Lucton School UK was founded in 1708 by John Pierrepont who was a successful vintner (wine merchant) based in London. He came from Herefordshire and, on retirement, decided to use some of his wealth to endow a school at Lucton. Initially the school only educated day pupils, so the magnificent Queen Anne building, which is the centrepiece of Lucton, was built to house the founding Headmaster, his family and other staff.
Over the next 100 years, Lucton maintained a day boy population of between 40 and 80 and offered a classical education with generous scholarships for poorer pupils. During the 1800s, huge changes took place in the management of UK schools and Lucton was no exception. The Headmastership and Governance were redefined during this time and the main school buildings behind the Queen Anne façade were built.
Academic standards were variable during this time, but Lucton consolidated and by the 1920s there were 120 boys in the school. Boarding had been introduced and the curriculum expanded to include sciences and humanities.
The period surrounding the second world war was one of austerity and it was not until the 1970s that Lucton expanded again, taking in the first group of girls in 1973 as day pupils so that by 1977 there were 276 students at the school with 160 boarding. Numbers fluctuated and new buildings were put up over the years. Since 2000, Lucton has enjoyed an extended period of steady growth with the addition of an indoor swimming pool, an equestrian centre and the acquisition of extra land for playing fields. There are ambitious plans in the offing for extending and improving the boarding accommodation.
Lucton has taken in overseas boarding students for many years and had its first pupil from mainland China in 2006. The Lucton Shanghai School is opening in 2018.